THE SHIMLA SNAPSHOT.

 THE SHIMLA SNAPSHOT

As I was lounging around the house this weekend, a photo taken a few years ago caught my eye. The picture was taken by a professional photographer, who captured the image of my family amidst a picturesque backdrop at the Ridge, the heart of Shimla, while on a trip there.

 

In the picture, my younger brother is sporting a red and black Levis T-shirt, dark jeans and yellow Converse shoes. His bearded face is shining in the light. On his left is my mom, dressed in a printed suit and hanging dupatta. I am standing next to her on her left. I wear a red check shirt, black jeans and dark shoes. I am sporting aviator sunglasses and have my young baby boy in my arms. My little boy is dressed in a cardigan and is wearing a white cap. He looks bemused and is staring right at the camera. Next to me is my wife, dressed in a black kurta and white slacks. She, too, is wearing oversized framed sunglasses. All of us are standing in a line and posing for the camera. We look happy to be out on a sunny day and enjoying our holiday moments.

 

In the background are the lush hills of Shimla. An orange-coloured speck is slightly visible on the hilltop, probably the outline of a temple. Just behind the image of the five of us is the splendid image of Christ Church, the heritage monument of Shimla. The Church building is yellow, a spectacular architectural wonder with a rich history. It is an essential legacy of a bygone era. A clock is visible in the church. The story goes that this clock was contributed by Col. Dumbelton in 1860. Four windows of this church are also visible. This church has five windows, each signifying a virtue of Christianity, such as charity, humility, fortitude, patience, and hope. This church is right next to the Shimla US Club on the Ridge.

 

Groups of tourists are also visible near the Church. They are huddled in groups and strolling around in colourful attire. This is a common sight in Shimla, as many tourists enjoy walking down the vintage building of Christ Church and soaking in the atmosphere of peace and serenity. Both domestic and international tourists populate this place. The locals also frequent it, and the evenings here are a gala time.

 

On the left of the Church is a small building built in the style of the Raj. Half of this building is visible in the photograph. This is the State Library of Shimla. This library houses a collection of rare and precious books. It is said to have been built in 1860. The building is made of stone and timber and is a significant tourist attraction. Behind the library building, a silhouette of a huge pine tree and a small, thin one beside it is visible.

 

This picture is taken on the Ridge, which is the central point of Shimla. It is the hub of all cultural activities in the city and is located along Mall Road, the main shopping centre of Shimla. This place is always bustling with activity.

 

This photo is special to me as we visited Shimla after many years as a family. Only my sister and her family are missing as they were abroad. We had spent a few years during our childhood in this city. My brother was born here. Both my parents used to work in this city. We spent a portion of our school life here. So, it was a trip down memory lane for us. I remember that we had put up at the YMCA hostel atop a hill during this trip. We had an enjoyable and memorable stay here. This photo has a special place in my heart, for it was when my mom was alive and spending time with her family. She has since departed. It was also an exciting time for us as my brother, who too stays abroad like my sister, was visiting us, and we had planned a trip as a family to Shimla. It was memorable because it was my young son's first trip outside Delhi after birth. It was also my wife's first trip to Shimla. So, all in all, this photo holds many memories and is of significant importance to me. It is framed and stands on the side table beside my bed, reminding me of happy times spent with family. The memories associated with this photo are priceless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE STUDY TABLE

MEMORIES OF SCHOOL DAYS

3 THINGS DAVID GOGGINS TEACHES.