MY FIRST PAYCHECK

 MY FIRST PAYCHECK

 

As a youngster growing up in a cosmopolitan small city, I was suddenly bitten by the urge to write something. I brainstormed on some ideas and finally zeroed in on the current fashion scenario of my fashion-conscious city. So, one fine day, in my youthful enthusiasm, I sat down on my typewriter and punched out a lengthy article on the fashion scene in my city. I wrote about how my city was the hub of the fashion world and how each new trend in the fashion world was reflected in the young, hip crowd of the town. I wrote around four total pages of content and set out to get it published.

 

In those days, a paper called The Meghalaya Guardian had recently started publishing in our city. I enthusiastically rushed to its office, which was near my house. Upon reaching the office, I found the paper's editor and shyly handed him my article, which I had rolled up. He read it silently on his desk without offering much comments. He accepted it but did not promise me anything. I had minimal expectations of it ever being published because it was a publication of high standards and reputation. I was merely an amateur novice. I left the office not knowing what to expect.

 

So, imagine my joy when the paper carried my story that weekend. I noticed that they had improved my writing with some expert editing. They made my article the centrepiece. Three entire pages were devoted to it. They also included several chic photos of models to go with my piece.  They also gave me my first byline and referred to me as a first-year St. Anthony’s College student. That evening, the paper's editor called my mom and asked her to come the next day to collect my cheque. They paid me quite generously for every word of mine they had published. Back in those days, it was a handsome amount. It was a couple of thousand rupees if my memory serves me right. Though the paper and the editor invited me to write some more articles, I somehow did not get around to it as I was busy with my academic pursuits and other interests at that point in my life.

 

Looking back in hindsight, I realise I had done a sloppy job. Back then, I did not know the things I know now. My article was heavily research-based, though the voice and tone were light and humorous. In my enthusiasm, I made quite a few punctuation mistakes. There were gaps in my article, and the language I feel today could have been improved. There were a lot of things that I could have done better on that first attempt.

 

But that humble beginning set the tone for my interest in writing. Though I haven’t written much since then, it is only after a long sabbatical that I find myself punching the keyboards again. All this is possible because I had dared to fail and didn’t shy away from putting myself in the world. I had the guts to put myself on the line and express my thoughts in that article written many years ago. I remember all my friends and family being incredibly proud of me. I became famous because of that article.

 

But the writer in me now knows the mistakes I had made then. I was a rookie, but my humble efforts set the ball rolling and ignited my interest in this field. I have improved my writing with each subsequent try. I know I have a long way to go, but that article and paycheck set me on course in my journey to be a writer. I have learnt many lessons since then, but that tiny victory paved the way for me on my journey. At a time when I was in my adolescent years, it took one editor to believe in me, and that raised my self-confidence like no other. It has taught me the value of perseverance, humility and the courage to pursue my passions without seeking perfection.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE STUDY TABLE

MEMORIES OF SCHOOL DAYS

3 THINGS DAVID GOGGINS TEACHES.