RENDEZVOUS AT THE PUB

 RENDEZVOUS AT THE PUB

INT: A NOISY PUB. SOFT MUSIC IS BLARRING IN THE BACKGROUND.

JENNIFER, in her mid-30s, sits across from ERIC in his 40s. They sip their beer, engaging in polite conversation.

 

JENNIFER

(enthusiastically)

So, Eric, how’s life been treating you lately?

 

ERIC

(with a lovely smile that seemed to conceal something)

Oh, nothing out of the ordinary. Same as usual.

 

JENNIFER notices Eric fidgeting with his beer and salted peanuts. He seems to be weighing something in his mind. He is fidgety, has a distant look on his face, and is staring nervously at his beer. His sweet smile seems to hide some terrible pain.

 

JENNIFER

(empathetically)

Hmm, you don’t seem okay. You seem a bit tense.

 

ERIC

(promptly)

No, no, I’m doing just fine. It’s just that I have a lot on my mind.

 

ERIC’S voice is forced and lacking in confidence. His posture is slouched, his shoulders are hunched in tension, and his brow is creased as if hiding some great distress.

 

JENNIFER

(softly)

You can always talk to me, you know, about anything. I won’t judge you, I swear. I know something is bothering you, but I give you my word: I’ll always be here for you—I have always been. Please don’t push me away. Talk to me.

 

ERIC

(dismissing it off)

It’s nothing, Jennifer. Just sweating some small stuff.

 

However, his attempt to deflect the conversation does not work as Jennifer gets an inkling of his pain and vulnerability.

 

JENNIFER reaches out across the table and places her hand on ERIC’S. She gives it a firm squeeze. He is startled but does not pull away.

 

JENNIFER

(sincerely)

Well, if you ever want to confide your problems, I’ll always be available. I want you to know I will always be here for you. It pains me to see you struggling alone. I want to be your listening post.

 

ERIC finally faces her. His heart is filled with deep gratitude for Jennifer, which comes through in his brown eyes, clearly for her to see. Now, he offers her a relieved and relaxed smile, his guard lowered.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE STUDY TABLE

MEMORIES OF SCHOOL DAYS

3 THINGS DAVID GOGGINS TEACHES.