DIFFERING VIEWS ON JOHN KEATING

 DIFFERING VIEWS ON JOHN KEATING

 

SEAN: You remember “Dead Poet’s Society” Maurice? That movie has always stayed with me. John Keating is the embodiment of inspiration. I’m incredibly inspired every day by his words, “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.”

 

MAURICE: I remember the movie, but don’t share your enthusiasm. John Keating was controversial at best and a paradox at worst. The line from the film, “Sucking the marrow out of life doesn’t mean choking on the bone.”

 

SEAN: Come on, Maurice, don’t be so cynical. John breathed fresh, refreshing air in that rather stiff school. He reminded me of Br. Eric from my school days. He had similar creative methods of teaching. He brought dreary Shakespeare plays and uninteresting poems to life.

 

MAURICE: I don’t know your Br. Eric, as you know, I went to a different school. But John Keating? He was a walking calamity. Are we encouraging the young boys to question their parents and the school rules? I'm afraid I have to disagree with his line, “We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.”

 

SEAN: Exactly! That’s the whole point of it. He taught the boys to think independently and out of the box. He taught them to question everything. In the movie, Neil Perry finally finds the courage to pursue his dream of acting. Though his end was tragic, he lived his life pursuing his passions, even though it was for a short time.

 

MAURICE: Neil’s story is precisely why John Keating was a disaster. He pushed those boys too far. Dreams are fine, but one should know where to draw the line. His words, “But only in dreams can men be truly free. T’was always thus, and always thus will be”. This is Sean, where I beg to differ: not every dream is worth such a high cost and price.

 

SEAN: But there was also Todd Anderson. He was the introverted, shy, withdrawn, awkward boy living in his shell. But thanks to John, he found his voice. And if you remember, he stood on his desk towards the movie's end and saluted John Keating. “O Captain! My Captain!”. Now, that’s true transformation and empowerment.

 

MAURICE: But Sean, for every Todd, there is a Neil. The pressure got to them because John tore down the structures that held them up. He believes, “No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.” And we all know, Sean, some of the disastrous consequences of freely expressing our thoughts.

 

SEAN: Maybe. But he showed and taught that education should not just be about obedience and cramming facts. It’s about discovering yourself and learning to live. I think the famous poet Walt Whitman provided us with the answer to all our questions. “You are here- that life exists and identity, that the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.”

 

MAURICE: True, Sean, but let’s not forget John Keating’s idealism. It led to a lot of heartache. Maybe he had good intentions. Here again, I’m afraid I have to disagree with his words that “I found my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world.” I think, Sean, we don’t need to broadcast our inner thoughts to the world. Sometimes, a whisper is more effective than a shout.

 

SEAN: Like always, we have differing viewpoints. But we will have to agree or disagree on this. John Keating opened my eyes and inspired me to seize the day and make my life extraordinary. And that, Maurice, is something I’ll treasure until my last breath. For me, he was an unforgettable personality.

 

 

MAURICE: And I’ll always see him as a tale for circumspection. But I respect your perspective, Sean. But I’m sure your hero, John Keating, would say, “Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.” But you know what, Sean, I’d like to advise John to be careful of the thorns adorning the roses.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE STUDY TABLE

MEMORIES OF SCHOOL DAYS

3 THINGS DAVID GOGGINS TEACHES.