UNLIKELY CONNECTIONS

 UNLIKELY CONNECTIONS

 

(A COZY CAFÉ WITH DIM LIGHTING AND PLEASANT AMBIENCE.)

 

(LINCOLN AND EVELYN ARE SITTING AT THE CORNER TABLE.)

 

LINCOLN: All right, Lincoln. It's time to put on your charming face and be interesting. “Hi Evelyn, I’m Lincoln. Nice to meet you.”

 

EVELYN: He looks nice and decent. Please, God, let him be nice and respectable. “Hi, Lincoln. It’s great to meet you, too.”

 

LINCOLN: “So, have you been to this café before?”

 

EVELYN: “Actually, no. This is my first time. It’s got a great ambience, lighting and vibe, though.”

 

LINCOLN: “Yeah, it’s a cosy nest. I coach a kid’s football team nearby, and we sometimes come here for mocktails and ice cream after games.”

 

EVELYN: A football coach? That’s cute and sexy. “That sounds like a great deal of fun! I’m a school teacher, so we both work with kids.”

 

LINCOLN: “Oh! That’s great! What grade do you teach?”

 

EVELYN: “Fourth grade. The kids keep me on my toes, are a handful, but so much fun.”

 

LINCOLN: She’s got patience, which is an encouraging sign. Good, good. “I bet you have some interesting stories. Kids can be boisterous.”

 

EVELYN: Oh, he’s got a sense of humour. He sees the lighter side of things. “Oh, definitely. The things they come up with are unparalleled. How about you? Do you have any funny stories from coaching?”

 

LINCOLN: “Well, this time, I had two kids who were just not getting along. They were the opposites. They had to be teamed up for an important game, and I was worried they would be at each other’s throats and wouldn’t cooperate. But then, during the game, one passed the ball to the other, who scored a bicycle kick goal and won us the crucial match. They ended up laughing together. Now they are the best of buddies.”

 

EVELYN: “That’s so sweet. Kids can be so surprising.”

 

LINCOLN: “Yeah! They can. But sometimes the most mismatched pairs are the real deal.” Did that sound too cheeky?

 

EVELYN: I like his astuteness. I like cheeky. Wait, did I smile too much? “I know what you mean. I had two students who couldn’t stand each other. One day, they had to work on a project together, and they both loved astronauts, galaxy and outer space. Now they are inseparable.”

 

LINCOLN: “See. It’s unexpected and unlikely connections that make life interesting.”Did I sound philosophical and preachy?

 

EVELYN: That is such a profound thought. I like it. “Absolutely!”.

 

LINCOLN: “So what would you like to have? Any recommendations?”

 

EVELYN: “The menu looks great. I’m thinking of trying fish and chips.”

 

LINCOLN: “I might go for the same. It sounds good.”

 

EVELYN: Should I hint or ask for a second date now? Or is it too soon?  “This place has a great atmosphere and ambience. I wouldn’t mind coming back.”

 

LINCOLN: Did she ask for a second date? Or did I hear right? Nice. “Yeah, it’s a great joint, and we should return soon.”

 

EVELYN: Did I yell that out loud?  “Oh, I didn’t mean… I mean, yes. I’d very much like that.” Smooth, Evelyn, baby. It’s just so smooth of you.

 

LINCOLN: She is blushing. That’s so cute. “It’s a date then. Maybe we could try the desserts next time. I’ve heard the English cake is amazing.”

 

EVELYN: “Sounds great. I’m always ready for English cakes.”

LINCOLN: She likes English cakes, which is a good sign. “Great. I’ve enjoyed talking to you, Evelyn.”

 

EVELYN: “Me too, Lincoln. That was fun.”

LINCOLN: “So, same time next week then.”

 

EVELYN: “It’s a date.”

 

LINCOLN: Goal! “See you then, Evelyn. Have a great week.”

 

EVELYN: “You too, Lincoln. Bye.”

 

LINCOLN: That went smoothly. I am looking forward to next week.

 

EVELYN: I can’t believe I spoke my mind. I slipped, but he didn’t mind. Next week can’t come too soon. I can’t wait.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE STUDY TABLE

MEMORIES OF SCHOOL DAYS

3 THINGS DAVID GOGGINS TEACHES.